We have seven great proofs of the fact that our living Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ rose again from the dead. If anyone questions us how we know that He is a living Saviour, we can give the following seven proofs.
1. The first proof of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus is the prophecies made in the Old Testament about His resurrection. “He will swallow up death in victory” (lsa.25:8). “Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise” (Isa. 26:19). “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, 1 will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction” (Hosea 13:14). “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption” (Psa. 16:10). That is our first great proof that our Lord is the living Saviour. No one ever dreamt of conquering death. His is the only case in the whole world history.
2) The second proof is the prophecy made by the Lord Himself to His disciples before He was crucified. “And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again” (Mark 8: 31. See also Mark 9: 31; 10:34; John 10:18). The Lord Jesus Christ very clearly, plainly and repeatedly told His disciples how He would suffer, be mocked, be reviled for our sakes, die and then rise again.
3) The third proof is the testimony borne by the angels on the early Easter morning. It is found in Luke 24:4-6. “And …behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee”.
4) The empty sepulcher of the Lord Jesus Christ is the fourth proof. “And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulcher. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus” (Luke 24:2,3). The empty sepulcher can be seen even to day in Jerusalem. Every day people come from many parts of the world to see it. There is no other sepulcher like that in the who1e world. Other sepulchers are full of dead people’s bones, but see this empty sepulcher of the risen living Saviour.
5) The fifth proof is the appearance of the Lord Jesus to His disciples after His resurrection. Our, Lord appeared ten times in different ways to the disciples for forty days after He rose again-five times on the Easter day, and another five times from the second day to the day of ascension:-
• He first appeared to Mary at the sepulcher.
• Then to other women who were returning from the sepulcher.
• Then He appeared to Simon Peter.
• Then to the two disciples going to Emmaus.
• And the same evening to the disciples as they were gathered in the room, the door being shut. • He appeared to the 500 disciples in Jerusalem as we see in 1Cor.5:6.
• Then He appeared to James the Apostle.
• For the sake of Thomas He appeared the eighth time on the eighth day.
• At the Lake of Tiberius. He appeared for the ninth time.
• Then He appeared in Bethany before He ascended into heaven.
6) The sixth proof of His resurrection is His appearances to men like Stephen and Paul. He appeared to Stephen when he was about to be stoned reviled and mocked. “When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God” (Acts 7:54,55). He appeared to Saul who became Paul on the way to Damascus. “And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks” (Acts 9:5).
7) There is one more proof of His resurrection which is much more important than the other six proofs. It is much more convincing to those to whom you speak. He lives in every believer. He comes to live in those who believe in Him, in any part of the world. All such people can say, ” He lives in me, He lives in me”. That is the living testimony. Now we put the same question to you. Does the living Lord Jesus live in you? We do not want to know about your Bible knowledge or how much money you have. This is a simple question, which you must answer before God. You can deceive man but not God. Does the Lord Jesus Christ Who rose again for me and for you, live in you? What is the proof that He lives in you? There must be some proof that He has come into you. The proof is, new life will come into you and lift you up. That is called THE POWER OF RESURRECTION. It is the death conquering power. It is the highest power in the whole universe. That power will enable you to overcome death. That power can make mortal men immortal. That power can make the worst sinner a child of God. It is the gift of God.
If you say, “1 believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for my sins”, then you have to believe that the same Lord Who died for you, rose again for your sake. That is what we read in Rom. 6:5; “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”. Do not think that just by confessing your sins and saying, ” I am sorry for my sins”, you will receive salvation. Do not just say, “He died for me”; also say, ” I know He rose again”. That will save you. It is only by His coming into you by faith that you will be saved. We have to welcome Him and receive Him, and believe that He has come in.
Because He died, we die to our old nature. It is the old nature, which is responsible for all our troubles. There are some skin diseases, which have deep inner roots. Unless the root cause of the disease is dealt with, the disease will not be healed. The same thing is true of our sinful nature. Every human being is born with a sinful nature. That nature cannot be changed by fasting, prayer, Bible knowledge, visions and dreams. You have to take into you by faith the power of the death of the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no other remedy. It is only by that power that you can die to all sinful things. That is why you need the Holy Spirit to come into you by faith. In the same way to live anew life you need His divine nature. You cannot call yourself an Englishman by putting on a suit and a tie; you must be born in England to be an Englishman. Similarly, you have to receive divine life, which gives you new longing, and new desires. That life will lift you up day by day and more and more. That is why our Lord rose again to live in us, work in us, work through us, and make us completely new and eventually to make us immortal priests and kings. He is calling you for that high purpose. He invites you to an everlasting Kingdom. That is why in Rev. 4:2 John is made to see His throne and His heavenly Kingdom. All our sufferings and trials are for a purpose. For a true believer every suffering is a blessing; it is not a punishment. For sinners it is a punishment; for the rebellious it is a punishment, but for a believer any suffering of any kind is a blessing. By that you are being prepared for your heavenly calling or heavenly vocation, and you have a full appreciation of the things of eternity.
There is a flower called Jasmine, which gives strong fragrance in the darkest night. On a moonlit night, it does not give that fragrance, but in the darkest night its fragrance is strongest. In the same way, you find that the life of the Lord Jesus is stronger, more inspiring and sweeter, in your trials and sufferings. At that time you are being taught many hidden mysteries. I can thank God for every trial, for every suffering and hardship in my past life. I would never have learnt these truths from books or in colleges. The Lord Himself has become unto me more precious and nearer in these sufferings. I could prove His power in anew, way. It is wonderful to know that that power is given to us when we ask for it. We ask for knowledge, but not for this power.
Are you conscious of the living Lord Jesus, living in you? Does He speak to you when you pray? Does He answer your questions? When you walk with Him, do you feel happy, strong and better? Do you love to go to Him? Does He teach you something every day? Does He help you to conquer sin and temptations every day? Has anyone found the same joy and peace through you? If not, He has not come into you. You have to receive a definite, personal experience of the living Lord Jesus. Then you do not have to go about with a sad face.
On Easter morning, when our Lord appeared to Mary, she was weeping. Our Lord said to her, “Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? “She did not know who was speaking to her. She thought He was a gardener. When our Lord called her by her name, straightway every tear, disappeared. Her joy was so great. We find weeping believers everywhere. They weep for every small thing. They weep so loudly, that their voice can be heard in America. They weep before their wealthy uncles, they weep before relations, they weep in Delhi, they weep in Hyderabad. Wherever they go, they start weeping. They look so miserable. They walk with long faces to show others that they are sorrowful. They are constantly weeping for something or the other. They do not know their Saviour. They do not know His power. They do not know His love and grace. He rose again to be with us. He has said, “Lo, I am with you always” (Matt. 28:20). You will find all your questions answered by the living Lord Jesus.
First of all, He must forgive you of your sins. Then and only then, He can come into you. Did you ever hear these words, “My son, my daughter, my child, thy sins be forgiven thee”? Then day by day He will say, ” I am with thee, fear not”. The very same words our Lord spoke to Apostle John in the isle of Patmos, “Fear not John. Don’t look at the situation. Fear not, I am alive forever more. I am alive to carry you triumphantly.” That will be your daily experience. Now receive Him as your living Saviour.